Monday 16 September 2013

Race Day: St Bega's Ultra 35 - The SBU35

Race Day

The day had finally come, the alarm sounded, it was 4:15 with the dark pouring in through the window, but I had been awake for nearly an hour ready to get registered at St Bees school between 5 and 6. The standard 4 slices of jam on toast, coffee and a smoothie then off to registration. Susie drove us to the start where we were directed by the obligatory high viz clothed marshals to parking. A short walk through the school grounds and into the light of registration where the enthusiasm and energy was immediately apparent, almost tangible. First was the full kit check which had been adjusted for the day with some of the items no longer compulsory but still recommended: Gloves, water proof trousers and spare base layer. I removed the trousers as the only circumstances I may want to use them would be if I got injured and if that happened the space blanket would be more useful along with the base layer and gloves. Next queue was to get our race numbers, wrist bands and optional drop bag for the second check point. No drop bag for me as the plan was to get in and out of the checkpoints as quickly as possible using the hills as times to eat, well that was the plan... The next hour seemed to drag, toilet, pack bag, toilet, put number on bag, re-check bag, eat banana, potter, chat, drink smoothie, take off unwanted kit, wander and then off to the bus.


Registration at St Bees School


Coach to the Start

After saying goodbye to Susie and Alex (marshaling at Ennerdale Bridge) I found a free seat on the coach chatted a bit so as not to be too rude before put my earplugs in and buff over my eyes: time to doze, relax and visualise the race, to prepare mentally and avoid travel sickness! Back to full consciousness after about 45mins so I became more sociable for the final bit of the journey to Dodd Woods.

We all piled off the bus and in typical Monty Python style people started disappearing to "relieve" themselves in the trees: the toilets were, ooh, a massive quarter of a mile away... The few who had registered at the start were collected by the visitors centre, toilet once again (pattern forming here?) before we all headed up to the start area at the lower Osprey viewing point. Jon gave the obligatory safety briefing which we all diligently listened to whilst whispering to each other then we sauntered to the start just up the hill.



Briefing before the race in Dodd Wood

Bang goes the starting pistol

Nervous, expectant anticipation behind the tape at the start line, the count down, then bag went the starters pistol and we were off: time to initiate the race plan.  I pushed slightly up the first hill to test the two whom I was most uncertain about: Hugh McInnes and Holly Rush. I had checked out all the entries online to see who was racing... I knew both Hugh and Holly were faster than me on the road but off road, I had no idea. Pushing up the hill at just under marathon effort (not pace, that would be stupid!) I was surprised that no one came with me. I eased back as the first of the rain fell and descended out of Dodd Wood it was really early on and silly to risk a twisted ankle for a few seconds faster running! As expected the road runners started to close the gap on the road and flat easy trail as we meandered through fields with the river usually visible on our left. No one completely close which again surprised me, maybe just maybe... 

As soon as we started to approach the less even surfaces, dodgy gate (broken catch, I knew about from a previous reccy) and winding trail I picked it up again for a few miles, not by much but enough. It felt a bit mean doing this as my knowledge of the route gave me an obvious advantage, no need to check the guide as I ran on over stiles, through gates, up steps and across roads. By the start of the first longish stretch of road through Portinscale, on glancing back I could see no one so relaxed a bit into my planned race effort of 145 too 150 bpm - bit anal I know but that is the effort I know I can maintain for about five and a half hours (my estimated time for the race with the forecast wind later in the day) - everything else being equal.



Onward to Rosthwaite

Dodd wood was behind and Derwent Water ahead so some good running to look forward too for a few miles until just after Grange just beyond the head of the lake. Such a lovely trail to race on, very easy underfoot with such varied views as you wind your way through tunnels of tree branches, through open field, over streams, up and down stony paths with Derwent Water glinting through the trees as the path draws towards it. Eventually the path opens onto more exposed terrain, open bogs but with duck boards to cross the worst bits, so even when wet it is usually quite run-able,  usually: I have run it when the water has been half way up my calfs, so more like wading!

As the path started to leave the lake I got ready for the large puddle that is almost always present near the gate onto the next stretch of road, no puddle, so onward to the road, a short climb then drop into Grange before turning right to follow a narrow road heading for a campsite. Once again on the trail proper, I knew it was not far to the first checkpoint, so when about a mile away I finished most of my drink from one of my bottles and put an electrolyte tablet in so it had time to dissolve before arriving. The aim had been to get to Rosthwaite in about 1 hour 30, so I was really pleased to land inside that especially having travelled further than I remembered the first section being. No messing, time to grab a banana and piece of flapjack while the volunteers kindly refilled my water bottles then straight back out still not sure where the next runner was but I was taking no chances!



Rosthwaite to Ennerdale

This was expected to be the toughest section of the race, with some of the most technical trail and the biggest climb. Nibbling on my flapjack I was quickly back running, twisting and turning along the route towards Borrowdale YHA and the chain to help you on the narrow path before the first bit of proper climb at a switch back. My conscience would not let me take the shortcut straight up at this point so onward and upward I jogged relentlessly climbing towards Honister Slate Mine the first proper walking section. Running all the way, sometimes very slowly as the terrain dictated, I arrived at the foot of the climb so banana and stomp up. On reaching the top I looked back and could see no one behind, maybe just maybe...


Following the trail from Honister too Ennerdale


Looking back up Ennerdale Valley,
courtesy of SportSunday
The path from the top of Honister across open fell and then down into Ennerdale was the bit that I knew would be one of the slowest so took my time negotiating the rocks toward the stile that indicated the start of the descent. The views were spectacular as the day was so clear, the wind still had not picked up and Ennerdale lay ahead. After a careful descent down the steep steps the Valley started to open before me and the trail contouring towards Black Sail YHA appeared ahead. Slight detour around the YHA due to building works then onto the fire road, one of the fastest sections about four miles from checkpoint number two.


Me at Checkpoint 2, courtesy of SportSunday


Side of Ennerdale, courtesy of SportSunday


Having fun at Ennerdale, courtesy of SportSunday

After a quick four miles I arrived at the second checkpoint over quarter of an hour ahead of my planned time, almost entirety down to a quicker crossing from Honister to Ennerdale Valley, it was now nearly 11:00 and I still felt good but made my first silly mistake...



Ennerdale to Cleator

Feeling really good at arriving early, the mistake was made, I forgot to drink at the checkpoint, didn't take a banana choosing a gel I had never used before and a flapjack. My water bottles were refilled for me and off I went. About a mile down the road I realised I had forgotten to drink so cursed myself knowing this was probably going to be the longest section with nowhere to refill will clean water, doubts were creeping in...



Checkpoint 3 volunteers, courtesy of SportSunday
Two and a bit more miles of fire road with Ennerdale Lake on the left and the ridge of some lesser known the West Cumbrian fells outlined impressively in the clear sky. A bit of very welcome drizzle fell as the fire road became a tarmac-ed road for a few hundred meters before the route turned back down a narrow trail towards the lake shore. Coming up to the turn away from the lake a small herd of cattle were being ushered down the race route by a couple of farmers enforcing a slow down in pace and a wide berth taken by dropping down a steep thistled bank so as not to disturb the cows and calves. Onward but the energy level was dropping, doubts were creeping in time for that gel, yuk, bad move needed to wash out my mouth and waste water - mistake two complete!


Warning there be cow around that there corner!
Another short road section was next, passing through Ennerdale Bridge where Susie and Alex were marshaling, smile wave and straight on up the short road climb before dropping down to the good trail and my stomping ground, about 9 miles to go but the energy levels were dropping time to munch on a banana, 9 Bar to try and get some energy back. It did the job  for a few miles but the climb up bummers (switch back path up the back of Dent) was hard going and I needed more food and was running out of drink. I was thinking: "not long to the next check point a final refuel" but I was not really thinking clearly as I had forgotten the food I was carrying, the third mistake, while fixating on the next checkpoint. Push up Dent, the last hill, a quick-ish; but not compared to fresh legged; descent and just a couple more miles before the final checkpoint. The legs were not responding well as 31 miles were passed and real doubt was creeping in BUT I was slightly further ahead than on leaving Ennerdale so how much was just in my head?


Cleator to St Bees

Where's Wally? Or more precisely which one was Wally as this checkpoint had the stripy bespectacled red hatted one as its theme. Bottles refilled, banana and a handful of Haribos before heading back out on the last 4.5 miles or so and the finish line. The legs were still being stubborn and refusing to move freely or at a good pace but the Haribos were going down well and gradually the pace increased again as I told myself to pick it up again. I found myself  looking back frequently as I still had no idea how close the other runners were, would the road runners catch me on the flat easy running of the next two miles of cycle path? No one in sight as the steps down to the last 2.2 miles and fields approached. Confidence was coming back as the fields, gates and stiles were cross and passed, the glances behind became less frequent  the concentration and focus better and metronomic running began again: Not long now...


About to cross the finishing line at St Bees School

St Bees School was getting closer and closer,  then ahead the final kissing gate and I knew I had it, all the training and planning had paid off, I relaxed my stride opened, the running became easier and I dropped down the bank onto the school fields in bright sunshine, the finishing tape a few hundred meters away, tape I would break as I finished the inaugural St Bega's Ultra 35



Finished

Crossing the line in 5:12:31 felt so good and the free pint from Ennerdale Brewery shortly after was much appreciated! I had done leading from the off and only on finishing did I find out that the next person had only shortly before I finished left the last checkpoint. It was as expected Holly who finished in 5:49:56 with Hugh coming in just over 40 minutes later in 6:30:59. To have been so far ahead was almost unbelievable but then I did know the route very well and had been training on it for a long time which was easily worth 30 minutes or more. Holly had gone wrong a couple of times and run over 40 miles, about four miles further than me as  the route measured just over 36 miles.
Started and Finishing together, courtesy of SportSunday



There are more Photos of the event on the St Bees Triers Facebook page, and on one of the events sponsors page: SportSunday Event Photography



First Woman: Holly Rush and First Man: Howard Seal aka Me!


The medals all individually made from Honister slate were fantastic and that along with the tech t-shirts and "beer voucher" - no really a beer voucher! At presentation Holly and I were presented with superb slate trophies made from Honister slate and excellent head-torches provided by the Ultramarathonrunningstore which I was in real need off: my previous one had stopped working just before the Lakeland 50!

Time to rest now, what next oh yes there was a race the next day....


No comments:

Post a Comment