Wednesday 11 September 2013

Count down to the SBU35

Earlier Training

After months of preparation, many reccy runs along the route and many races (see previous post) the SBU was fast approaching. I'd run the whole route mid June to test the route guide for Jon the race director from UKanTrail along with my memory from previous reccy runs. It was a hot day so since I would be un-supported I needed to carry extra food and drink to get me all the way to St Bees. The reccy started badly as the bus I got to take me to the start was diverted meaning I would need to run to the start from Keswick - an extra 5.5 miles or so not good for the head especially as only five days earlier I'd done a 37.5 mile training run with one of my long distance training partners; Adam and had been at Ravenstondale festival over the weekend. Anyway I reached the start and set off towards St Bees on the SBU reccy run...

Looking ahead whilst climbing through Dodd wood near the start

Early on while running through Dodd wood, I noted a couple of trees that had fallen across the path which had not been there on an earlier reccy. On coming up the the field with "the two trees" I had to take an alternate route to avoid disturbing the neat lines of freshly cut and drying hay the farmer was busy making. Rather than cross the field between the trees it was necessary to run around it and along the river which was a bit tricky in places! The rest of the route was straight forward up to Rosthwaite and my memory served me well. It had been tough going in the heat, so I was pleased when Rosthwaite drew near. The plan was to refill my hydropack in the toilets but typical for the day, they were closed so another set back. Luckily the Borrowdale YHA was not far away so onward, coffee and cake (recommended: good value and substantial) plus refilling of the water bladder and bottle before continuing up towards Honister.
The descent into Ennerdale Valley
The heat started to tell on the climb up the switch back path of Honister, and I needed to refill my bladder from streams twice along Ennerdale Valley and still ran out of water with about three miles to go - goes to show the affect heat can have on fluid needs! Over the whole route there where only a couple of points that needed clarifying (Jon did this for the final route guide). The toughest bits on the whole route were definitely the drop down to Ennerdale Valley and the long winding climb up to Dent: the final fell before descending toward Cleator. After a brief stop about a mile from the finish to um, regurgitate some food and water I jogged to the finish where Jon was waiting at the with a ham wrap, bottle of beer and some sweets - fantastic support!

There were a few more reccy runs done after the long one, to reinforce the route in my mind, show others the way and test the guide with those that did not know the route. Preparation was done, the route learnt now it was time to taper.

The Fortnight Before: “The Taper”

After the Silloth Half marathon it was time to cut back the training to get ready for the big one, the focus, the one all the training and racing in the preceding few months had all been leading up too: The SBU35. I am not very good at tapering as it is a balance between the benefits to the body from the reduced running and the mental down turn that can also result from this reduction. I tend to just run less, with more recovery runs. I managed to cut back to 60 miles in the penultimate week and then 30 miles for the week before even if I did sneak in a couple of races...
Finishing the Round Latrigg race on 21st August (in purple)

3 days to go...

The Wednesday before the SBU my pack arrived from The Ultramarathon Running Store which I'd only ordered the day before using the discount code for SBU35 entrants. Excellent service and the pack felt light as well as practical instilling me with confidence for the race. Ennerdale show fell race first then in the evening a 5 miles trail race in Maryport which I ran with my new pack and full kit at approximately SBU race pace. It felt great, no real rub points, easy access to the water bottles and it sat well on my back when descending fast - it had to be done, how could I resist?
Testing the new pack

The New race pack: Ultimate Direction SJ Ultra Vest
A great review of the pack can be found on Blue Ridge Runners blog if interested.

The Day Before: “Final Preparation”

Having, shock horror, not run the day before I was up early to get a good breakfast in before heading to St Bee’s to help put up the Marquee at the St Bees School ready for race day. The plan had been to do this then go home eat more and do a short recovery run but only the eating happened - two days not running, this was almost unheard of...

I was chomping at the bit, going through the route in my mind, tidying up the house, constantly eating and checking then rechecking all my kit before my last big meal at 5pm consisting of a whole bag of pasta (500g) with beans, tuna and a home made smoothie. My friend Simon arrived to drop of the High5 Zero tablets I needed so the following days drinks were made up and spare tablets added to the kit, chomp, chomp, chomp...

More food, the majority of a large apple pie as a "snack" then Susie and her youngest Alex arrived so more food this time some vegetable spring rolls from the local Chinese takeaway and an early night. Sleep unsurprisingly did not come easily but I probably managed to get around 3.5 hours in before the alarm went off at 4:15am... race day had arrived...


No comments:

Post a Comment