Tuesday 20 May 2014

Long time no post...

So my last post was back in September 2013, just a little time ago. A couple of half written posts were loitering in my drafts but even they were old so a quick catch up:

The rest of 2013

The day after the SBU I had a short fell race to take part in:  The Loweswater Show fell race,. yes I know racing the day after an ultra is a bit insane but it was a championship race for my fell running club: Cumberland Fell Runners (CFR) so I had to take part... I was still in position to win the club championship, not being a short race speedster and concentrating on the longer stuff meant I was two points behind first place with three races to go. As long as I was first club runner for two of the next three races the championship was still open...

Darren Block was there so it was unlikely I would beat him with 36 miles in my legs and him fresh, I mentally prepared myself: take it easy at the start, push on as felt right and then see what happens on the descent. It took a while for the legs to start working properly but I was still in sight of Darren on the climb, then the turn and back - my descending was not great, Darren started to pull away out of sight but second club member was in the bag. Still managed to take over a minute of my previous best on the route which was brilliant and Susie's son Alex was third boy in the U16 race which considering he is 11 and it was his first fell race was an amazing result!

Nearing the end of Keswick 15k

A busy week was coming up but it went exceptionally well considering everything else. I manage 4th in the Gosforth 10k on the Tuesday and only 6 seconds slower than my current, though a bit slow PB, 35:58. A few days of gentle running and active recovery then off to do the Lakeland Trails Keswick 15k on Saturday. My legs felt pretty heavy in all the races and my ability to climb was not great still very pleased with the results. Now it was time to rest up before the Ultimate Trails 100k. Good result at Keswick then at the Cumberland Ale ten but this was really poor preparation for the 100k. The redovery was almost no existent but then it was not a target race more a time on feet race, one to enjoy.

Ultimate Trails 100k

Poor sleep, lack of focus on nutrition and other things going on meant I was neither physically nor mentally ready to run the 100k. Even before I started I was expecting to blow up around 50 miles: self fulfilling prophecy?

The plan was to take it slow to start with and run with Adam keeping the heart rate down. This I had great difficulty doing, just kept going to hard and having to tell myself to ease back all the time. Badly stubbed my toe at about 45k and didn't refuel properly, too busy chasing down those in front. A big lesson learnt as I was battling for 3rd and rather than wait for a few minutes to have some food ran on and within half an hour the wheels were wobbling, shortly after a complete blow up, could barley walk, balance gone, vision blurred and hard to focus. It took what felt like an eternity to reach the checkpoint in Langdale. Very nearly retired from the race ther but after eating and drinking for about an hour Adam arrived so I decided to finish the race with him, finish I did but a few lessons rammed home there - still a lo to learn.

When still running

Post race I went to hospital to get my toe looked at as the foot had gone red from the impact. Xray showed nothing so 'just' soft tissue damage so rest...

Enerdale 50k

The wheels well and truly came of here. A great race so I will be back but one that I should never have started. I'd not been well in the build up, my toe still hurt and I was stressed out trying to sort out student finance for my new college course. Result was to run at the pace I wanted not what Iwas currently capable off which for the first lap was OK then I stated to feel sick and was at 35k, couldn't stomach food found it hard to drink but still pushed on. by about 45k I was walking a lot of the time so lost a few places. I finished but at what cost?

Half way point
Rceiving my 2nd place V40 prize

Ended up with Frank urine (blood in pee) so spent twop nights in hospital and on a drip. This was followed by the best part of six weeks of very little activity. 2013 ended badly, so I started to plan for 2014...











No comments:

Post a Comment