Tuesday 28 July 2015

Lakeland 50: It was the best of times, it was the worst of times

Crawling bleary eyed out of bed, it was time to start packing for the Lakeland Fifty. One week earlier I felt confident but not so much now after a mixed week. Loads of friends were taking part in the weekend be it marshalling, clowning around or racing but my partner in crime and running amigo Adam was noticeably absence due to an injured knee. This was going to be a very different weekend as I was now running alone and not part of the “Top Shelf Material” pair so I was running for us both. Susie arrived nice and early with me still phaffing about getting my shit together but eventually we were off and heading to Coniston and registration…

The school was already busy as we rolled in with an almost tangible buzz of expectation in the air. Many of the LL100 entrants getting their food and sleep topped up as best they could. Tents up quickly then off to register with full kit in a Coop bag to be checked. I always pack it after kit check as pointless doing it before and I know it all fits as most of my longer training runs are done with full kit plus a bit!.

Registration navigated, weighed (83 kg) so back to the tent before watching the LL100 start. As usual lots of people running up the first hill out of Coniston, lots of people who will have felt it later and wished they had walked – next year I will no doubt be one of those going too fast up that hill with Adam. Time for food and a pint then more food and watch the early race progress before bed. Susie got her head down early but I couldn't settle eventually falling asleep sometime after 3am (dong dong dong dong, what oh, snore, ziippp uh) for a very disrupted and poor sleep but hey-ho, that is how it goes: time for breakfast! Ablutions done, kit checked, briefing listened to and laughed at, bus ride endured so time to get in the toilet queue for one last squeeze. Stretch, chat, kiss Susie, wish her luck then dib in and head to the front end of the race and wait in anticipation of what was to come. 

Dalemain before the start

10, 9, 8, 7 (relax), 6, 5 (breathe), 4, (gulp), 3, 2, 1 and GO...

We were off on the lap around Dalemain, a couple of guys had a sprint race for a 100 yards or so entertaining the crowds cheering us all on. Settling into a nice gentle pace on I already felt the heat so was looking forward to the gentle breeze forecast for later and getting up to the higher points… Towards the end of the loop as we headed from Dacre back to Dalemain a lot of runners cruised past me, it was hard to resist upping the pace to stay with them even though I knew it was very early and the flats are where I am weakest. Cheering on all the LL100 legends as we passed them who were 17.5 hours further into the race than us, we made our way to Pooley Bridge and the first little climb and first bit of walking. Steady, steady, onwards and upwards, still no breeze so a quick dip in the first stream to cool down then off again – no affect as the water just warmed up and stayed on my skin.

From the stream to the first checkpoint I passed about five runners taking advantage of the gentle downward gradients to assist in the forward progress, the views across Ullswater were stunning as always. Dodging the “bullets” we entered Howtown checkpoint, quick fluid and food replenishment and straight back out towards my favourite bit (no honestly) up fusedale over high and low kop then down to Haweswater. Once again the views were stunning. Still no wind on the climb up and the usual method of wetting my buff and neck in the streams to cool down was having no impact with the still air and humidity high. I eased back a bit to lessen the heat impact before dropping down to Haweswater and my first slight twinge of cramp... Not good, I don’t usually cramp and this early in a long race was not a good sign.
Descending to Haweswater
I upped the fluid intake, eased back a bit more and ate my chia charge to help get some electrolytes back in. Luckily there are lots of streams from where you join the path by Haweswater and Mardale Head and the water on buff and neck was beginning to have some impact (or so I managed to convince myself). A quick turnaround at the checkpoint and a diluted soup (faster to drink), then up Gatesgarth, bang on target time. Keeping it steady up and over I was feeling OK but the temperature was still high and air still and I couldn’t get the fluid in any faster than I was with sweat pouring out. Even so Kentmere checkpoint came into view and I was still bang on schedule. I couldn’t resist counting my steps from the sign that said 500 steps to the checkpoint (I counted ~ 230). A couple of rock and roll smoothies, some crisps, jelly babies and flat coke then go. By now I was in 4th having passed another LL50 runner a couple of miles before Kentmere but all was not good…

Descending Garburn pass (coutesy of James Kirby)
The legs were not feeling great on the way up Garburn pass and I was finding it hard to pick up any kind of pace with the legs spasming and sudden uncontrolled sweating breaking out. Keeping Marco Consani’s advice in mind I slowed it right down and tried to get more food and water in thinking that would help but the heat had done its damage by then and the LL50 as a race was over. For the majority of that section I was reduced to walking with some gentle jogging, yes as a race it was over but as an event it was not. I just needed to keep putting one foot in front of the other, drink and eat and get to the next checkpoint and as long as the medical team were happy for me to continue I had plenty of time to get to Coniston. The sub 8:30 was a distant memory but goal one: “Enjoy it” was still there. Using the rest of the section to regroup mentally and refocus on the new goal, I made my way to Ambleside, cheering on all the LL50 runners as they ran past and even managing a gentle jog through the cheering and uplifting crowds in Ambleside. So the first part of the LL50 was over: LL50 part one: The good the bad and the ugly
Dalemain to Ambleside


Medic!!

After dibbing in at Ambleside, I immediately asked to see the medic as something was clearly not right and I wanted to get it sorted and avoid any real or long term issues plus make sure it was safe to continue. The symptoms of muscle spasms plus excessive sweating, I knew to be heat related with an associated risk of dehydration. Shortly after sitting down, the shivers started and my temperature measured 34.1 – probably wasn’t that low as I was coherent and stable but it was definitely low! Puffer jacket, sleeping bag, foil blanket, hat and gloves with copious hot tea, soup and crisps over the next couple of hours saw me gradually recover and my temperature rise almost every half hour: 35.1, 36.1, 36.1 then 36.6. Phew I would be able to carry on when Susie arrived and finish the race with her. At one point another runner came in overheating and needed a fan and ice to cool down we looked an odd pair!

The odd couple at Ambleside
Once my temperature was back to normal, I got my kit ready for when Susie arrived so I could finish the race with her. When she saw me at Ambleside she asked “how did you get back here so fast?” as she thought I had finished then come back to the checkpoint to cheer her on, if only although if the race had gone to plan possible!


The best of times

Setting of on the last 15.5 miles together we decided to try and get to Chapel Stiles without using our head torches which we belligerently did arriving in the dark to a vibrant happy checkpoint and a warm fire – don’t sit down!
Amblesdie before the last 15.5 miles
Quick rest, head torches on and off we went once more with only 10 miles left to go and over five hours to do it to still be within 16 hours; the time Susie wanted to finish by. Running by head-torch at night with other runners whose head torches are brighter on uneven terrain with tired legs is tough. Mucho kudos and respect to all the runners doing large chunks of the race in the dark. I kneel before the LL100 double nighters! The other head torches around made the rocks and shadows jump and dance making it hard to see shapes and depth properly slowing down was even more pronounced. Susie, by this point, was also suffering from battered, blistered and bruised feet so we broke the remaining run into small chunks. First thing to get to the bottom of the zigzag climb before Blea Tarn, in the daylight a lot of this is good running but it is a different beast in the dark. Cross the road, onwards and downwards past the Tarn (the one you couldn’t see you know behind those dark tree things?) then down to the rocky contouring path before the compulsory checkpoint on Wrynose Pass. Ahead a line of head-torches bobbed away towards Tiberthwaite but no distinguishable solar light that was the checkpoint was visible yet. Going very slightly too high (about 20m) we dropped to the higher path and avoided nearly all the bogs and headed in a straight line towards the checkpoint: breathe…


Not far now but some tough bits in the dark. Another good path in daylight was again tricky by head-torchat night but we slowly but shawly closed the gap to the final checkpoint at the foot of the stairway to heaven. Susies feet were in pieces by now making the progress on an uneven path very hard and painful but only 3.6 mils to Coniston and 2 ¼ hours to cover the distance so we had plenty of time. Final regroup and of up the stairs we went. What for me with my long legs were steep but not too bad steps were high steps for Susie’s short tired legs. Much swearing, pain, perseverance and bloody minded determination later we were approaching the hardest bit: the descent to the copper mine path. Digging deep and pushing the limits of fear and pain Susie and I reached the bottom with shattered legs and one mile to go from the old miner’s bridge to the school and finish. Gradually the pace quickened and we broke back into some running as the stone path, changed to gravel then across the cattle grid and tarmac: half a mile now… One more bit of jogging then walking to the top of the school hill getting composed for the finish. Holding hands we jogged down the road to John Ruskin School and dibbed in together in a time of 15:21:34 joint 364th – we had done it. My most memorable LL50 so the best of times but by a long way the longest time out on feet! LL50 part two: Ambleside to the finish with Susie

2015 Lakeland Fifty splits

After breakfast before the presentation: conked out!

 Bring on the LL100 in 2016!




No comments:

Post a Comment